Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Effects on my Immediate Family

Well, I thought what were really supposed to post here was why I thought America was involved with Iraq. Turns out, that ain't the case. Personally, the War in Iraq has no direct effect on any members of my immediate family, but a distant cousin of mine was actually on a tour there, and a good family friend is currently serving his second tour in Iraq right now, and he's due home this August. Both of my parents aren't necessarily supporters of the war in Iraq, but they, like many others, are in full support of the American soldiers there. I have younger sisters and a younger brother that are sophomores and a freshman in high school respectively, and they really couldn't give a two pennied damn about the war, they just watch MTV all day.
I think that the media coverage makes everything about this war way worse than it really is. These channels like MSNBC and CNN broadcast news 24/7, and they need something to fill up all that time. To do so, they bring on all sorts of bigwigs and other people who think they know what they are talking about to talk about U.S. involvment in Iraq. From what I watch, everyone pretty much says the same thing. I try to stay involved, but watching too much of these news channels makes me what to take a header off of a skyscraper, because yes, they are all biased. I lean more toward the republican side, and all of these news channels are staunch liberals. They turn every move by the current administration into something negative when no one really wants a war, but sometimes sh*t happens.
The worst is the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Don't get me wrong, they say some pretty funny stuff on these shows, but just because it's on Comedy Central does not mean it's all credible. Also, these shows are the only source of political information that kids my age get. The problem is, these shows are supposed to be FUNNY, when in reality, there's really nothing funny about any of it. Like I said before, I try to keep up with the news but most of it just makes me sick to my stomach.

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

I know politics are a serious thing, but what can we do about the decisions that the government have chosen for our country?

It's frustrating isn't it!