Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Media and the War

Although my no one in my immediate family is serving in Iraq, I definitely think that I have been affected by the war. My father was in the Marines and is now in the Marine Corps Reserve, but he is also a FBI agent, so he cannot be pulled to go to war. Last year however, my dad mentioned a few times that he may be going over to different places in the middle east to work. I pretty much told him that I did not want him to go, because I would constantly worry about him. I watch the news and hear about bombings of federal buildings in the middle east and people dying, and I just think about how it could be my dad. He decided not to go this year, and I really hope that he will decide not to go at all. Just recently, 4 FBI agents were injured after a bomb was thrown at a restaurant in Pakistan, one of which my dad knows. They were just eating lunch at an outdoor café, and someone throws a bomb. I think about how that could be my dad over there, and it is scary.

I try to watch the news, although it can be difficult to trust the media. I feel like we as Americans are not really getting all the information. There are few independent newspapers left, and Rupert Murdoch pretty much controls a large part of the media. He owns huge newspapers in Britain and the United States and Fox News, so all of our information is generally coming from the same place. He even owns the company that owns Myspace, so he is even controlling what young people see and read. So it is difficult to trust the media when you know that your information is coming from a select few people, who could possibly twist and bend it any way they want.

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

That's what drives me crazy - that people know and understand that the media has a "way with words" and can turn a story any direction it pleases.

But you would think that by showing all the bombings over in Iraq, and listing the death toll, that Americans would get a little more fired up, and care a bit more. Perhaps that is the media's true intent, rather than to piss us off about how biased it is.

If a movie or book can make people think twice about something, I question why the media's stories cannot. Perhaps people actually want a more indepth view on something, to make the story seem more relatable. We don't just want the facts, but rather the details behind them.

I guess the media has some work to do if it hopes to be successful in it's reportings.