Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Impact of The War

First there was war on terrorism in Afghanistan now there is war in Iraq. I can understand the reason of the war in Afghanistan but the war on Iraq left me clueless. I remember when I was still a freshmen in high school, my World History teacher often started discussions on war in Afghanistan and the casualties. In my opinion, the increasing casualties is a hint that we should pack up our troops and leave MiddleEast. Instead, Bush moves on in to Iraq. It is not a wise decision at all. The war did not just have impact on the life of our fighters but the civilians in USA as well. A visible scar Iraq war left on US is obviously the drastic climb in our gas price. From personal experience, I can not afford to drive often now since filling the tank full usually costs me around fourty dollars.
Iraq War was a well-covered story among media such as news, newspapers, and magazines. They were on first page for most of the time. I was often updated and informed about Iraq War through news on MyPHL-17 which I seldomly watch. I think it can be implied that I am not too well informed, but when I am it was mostly about casualties of war. I personally think that these news are generally more bias towards the Democrats. The news always inform the mass of our soldiers getting hurt and how many were killed but very little news on the our triumphs. Based on the article "Liberal Media Bias in the Iraq War Coverage? Here's the Proof " negative stories on Iraq war are said to be published or broad four times more than the positive ones. The article is pretty old but I think it still holds true today.
This year's presidential run will be important regarding the war in Iraq. I think if a president like George W. Bush is able to drag us into a meaningless ongoing war then it is definitely possible for another president to pull us out it.

Reference
Bowers, Steve. "Liberal Media Bias in the Iraq War Coverage? Here's the Proof ". Political Gateway. April 3rd, 2008
http://www.politicalgateway.com/main/columns/read.html?col=486

No comments: