Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

An Effect on the Everybody

I don't really have a direct connection, to those fighting overseas in Iraq. My closest connections are that of friend's of my friends, or a relative of one of my relatives. I also know some people from my school who have siblings overseas. So I guess I'm lucky in a way, to not have anyone very close to me risking their lives, but it doesn't really exclude me from being affected. I do however, know of a many who are being affected from this war. I see it hurt other people and this has always made me wonder, "Why are we over there just wasting lives, anyway?"

So even from a person, who doesn't have anyone close overseas, I still see other people upset, and seeing this isn't necessarily making me happy. When I went home for spring break a few weeks ago I remember seeing a very interesting bumper sticker. I was riding home in my parents' car after having a tasteful dinner at one of our favorite local restaurants and I noticed a bumpersticker on the vehicle in front of ours. It was a heart with half of it filled in with an American Flag, and the other half that of Iraq's. The sticker said "Half of my heart is in Iraq." This got me thinking a lot. About the people of my town, how they're loved ones could be dead or missing. I couldn't imagine being devoted to someone and losing them while still very young. I think a lot about the future, and what i'll enjoy doing. Happiness is best enjoyed when shared, and if you get married and within a couple of years lose that person, it's got to be the most horrible feeling in the world.

This War has been going on for a very long time, and when the news broadcasts our President, George W. Bush in front of a sign with big white letters saying "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" I think about all the people who were lied too.

No comments: