Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Apart from the World

When asked in english class whether or not the war in Iraq has affected me, all I could answer was "not personally". After listening to my class talk about the war and our country, I began to think about it some more. The war does affect me, just as it affects everyone. Not only in ways like a raise in taxes to pay for the war and acquaintances from home leaving to fight, but emotionally as well. It is stressful.

It makes me uncomfortable knowing that the rest of the world frowns upon my country's being in Iraq. My mother's side of the family lives in Hungary and the relative that I am closest to is my great uncle. He's more like a grandfather to me because my real granddad passed away when I was pretty young. My uncle is a smart man and has very strong, negative opinions about the United States and the war that we have caused. I feel as though my country's decisions reflect badly on me. I would never want him to lump me into the same category as the politicians who have started this war. He personally would not do this, but I believe that other foreigners would easily do so. There is a reason why many Europeans have bad feelings towards Americans and this war does nothing but give them more justification in feeling this way. I think the war is in a way separating us from the rest of the world.

No comments: