Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Friday, April 4, 2008

The need for a war

I was in the seventh grade on 9/11/01. I never would have thought that those terrorist acts would call for war, in any case, I imagined we would become focused on strengthening our defenses in our country. It still seems foolish that President Bush took an offensive approach towards solving the problem of terrorists. And after almost 7 years of searching and fighting, we have nothing solid to show for our country or our president's choice for initiating a war. This is really all my opinion, from what little I know of the US's and Iraq's conflict history.

I have no immediate family in the military, however, I do know of friends of friends who have joined the army and the marines. I am not very familiar with the system of recruiting or how they decide who joins what infantry or battalion. That would be interested in researching, just to understand and fulfil my curiosity. I once asked my mother how she felt about the war, expecting her to say something similar to the general public disapproval of the war. However, she surprised me by saying that our involvement is beneficial to our economy. A war fuels industry. Factories have a reason to produce, research is spurred, our economy is moving because people have a reason to work and provide - to be victorious in war. People need motivation to work towards a goal and generally, peace is a sought-after state.

I ought to watch more informational news about the war, because there is very little I understand about it. I have no interest inpolitics and many times every detail about the war or update is told with a bias, with the author leaning towards the war or against it. I'd also prefer that our govenment fully disclose all information to its people about what its doing, there shouldn't be any secrets. I can understand that the government says its for our national security to keeps things private but it causes its own citizens to live in fear and ignorance.

No comments: