Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

No effect.

Honestly the war has not directly affected me except for the longer lines in the airport, which to me don't even seem that bad (I just don't like taking my shoes off when walking through the metal detector). I knew a few distant people that went to Iraq, my best friends cousin, and a distant friend but that still never bothered me, it just didn't seem real because it is so far away.

I was recently in Cancun for winter break and my friends and I met a bunch of people from all over. Two of the guys we met, that were from the US, were soldiers in training and one of them had recently come back from Iraq. He told us stories of how a bomb blew up right next to him and he had some serious scars on his shoulder. His friend had a limp and walked with a cane because he hurt his ankle jumping out of a plane during practice. Both guys were only 23 years old. When I found this out, I was so surprised that they had recently come back from war, and they are so young with so much potential yet they risk their lives for other people.

The other two Canadian guys we met were also in the military and were going to be shipped off to Afghanistan a few weeks after they got back from Cancun. My friends and I still keep in touch with them on facebook, but I still don't think this war has really affected me that much. I must admit though I don't really keep up with the news so that could be a part of it.

No comments: