Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss

When the war in Iraq started, I cannot say I was shocked. After the September 11 attacks, it was plainly obvious that America was not going to take these attacks lightly. However, if you had asked me my opinions on the war 5 years ago I probably would have given you the same answer if you asked me today. I don't care much for the war in Iraq. I steer clear of it as much as possibly. I do not have any family members involved directly or indirectly in the war and none of my friends or their families are involved in the war. I suppose we are all mostly cut off from it. Most of the members of my family do not follow the war in anyway, shape or form. For my family, it is not that odd, but for me, it can be seen as almost idiotic for me to not be following the war. The reason I say that is because I am currently enrolled at Drexel in the Education program and I want to teach History. One would think that I would be eating all of this information about the war up, but sadly, I'm not. The War in Iraq does not interest me in the slightest from an educational or historic standpoint. With all of the media exposure the war gets, it almost feels like the war is being crammed down our throats. Reports come out everyday saying, "X Soldiers Die in Roadside Explosion" or something similar. My disregard for the war could be due to the fact that I do not know anybody who serves in the war but I doubt it. The war to me is not interesting. No real advances are made from day to day, week to week, or month to month. Yes, we caught Saddam, but not much has happened since then. Our efforts to set up a government are not working as well as we planned because most of the people who live in Iraq and the Middle East in general want nothing to do with us.

As the title of my post suggests, I am blissfully ignorant of the war. I avoid the war as much as possible for no real specific reason other than the fact that it does not have any impact on me nor does it interest me in the least. I highly doubt that when a new president is elected that the war will cease immediately. What we got ourselves into in Iraq is very similar to what happened in Vietnam. We are fighting a war we cannot win in multiple ways.

No comments: