Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Is There a Reason?

It is so strange to say that I am growing up in a time of war. I never would have thought when I was a little girl that I would see “war” in big bold letters on the news. Yet, even though it is such a huge part of our world today, I still do not know much about the War in Iraq. Being in college and having a very tight schedule I rarely have time to watch the news or read about the situation in Iraq. However, because I am an American, it greatly affects me.
After reading some of the previous blogs, I realize even more now than before how much this war has hit the hearts of so many people. It is devastating hearing about another soldier that has lost their life overseas. There is a total death count of 4013 soldiers. This number is an extreme number that, in my opinion, should be zero. I do not feel that the war is at all necessary. What are we accomplishing or helping by being in Iraq? Why are we there? There truly is no answer anymore. We started this with a reason, but now we have been there so long accomplishing nothing that there is no reason. But, I often times think about what situation we would be in if we did not declare war. It is a scary question that we will never know the answer to.
Even though I do not personally know someone that is in the war, it saddens me to know that there are husbands, wives, sons, daughters, etc. overseas. I do not think I could imagine losing someone to a war that I am so against. The men and women that are fighting for our country will be forever honored because of their courage.

No comments: