Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Deployment

My closest cousin decided to enlist in the militray in August of 2007. He always attempts to reassure the family that he will be fine because he is a computer engineer, but I feel that no matter what your profession, at some point you will end up being deployed. It doesn't really matter to me if he was on the front lines, or behind a computer screen relaying information, the danger is the same to me. His reason for enlisting was that he wants to travel, he wants to see the world, but I tried convincing him that now is not the time to pursue those types of ambitions in the military. Right now he is living in Nevada not too far outside of Las Vegas, he enjoys his daily life. He goes to work, makes great money, and hangs out in Vegas and even flies to California on military plans on a weekly basis. In May, that will all come to a halt, there are plans for him to be delpoyed. He mentioned it very non-chalantly to me and I was instantly upset by it. After our conversation, he confessed to me that for the first time in his life, he is actually scared. My stomach sank even deeper. As a family we don't make mention of his rapidly approaching deployment, I don't think any of us have come to terms with it yet.

As for media coverage on the war, I never really felt the need to follow the news coverage. I think that before my cousin enlisted, I didn't feel any connection to the war, I felt like the war was something that had no effect on me. Now that I will have a personal connection, I think it will actually push me even further away from the little bit of news that I would watch on war coverage. I don't think I want to know what is going on in Iraq, the devestation is too great for my mind to comprehend.
The information that I do know about the war often comes from CNN reports. I've never been a fan of news channels such as 10, 6, or 3 depending on where you live. Watching CNN makes me feel more grown-up I guess, I'm not really sure what it is. I just feel like the reports are more accurate or in depth on CNN as opposed to NBC 10's 11 o' clock news. I'm sure CNN has some sort of political bias but I wouldn't be able to point it out because I'm honestly not big on politics.

1 comment:

Corey said...

Your cousin is a great American and a true patriot. I wish him all the best and I hope he stays safe.