Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Connection To Iraq

I am not sure as to why we are posting directly on the war in Iraq. We are fighting a war against radical Islamic terrorist groups. The war against terrorism is not something that is solely an American problem. The entire western civilization is also fighting against this common enemy.

I would like you to go to this article on CNN and read quickly the 10 foiled terrorist attacks.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/09/whitehouse.plots/index.html

I am not going to say the "War in Iraq" in my posting because that is a poster name for the global war on terrorism. I am impacted tremendously by the global war on terrorism. When I go to the airport and have to wait 45 minutes to get my backpack searched for weapons, cant eat my meal on the air plain with a metal fork and knife, and have increased taxes to fight this global war, I am impacted everyday!

Where do I get my news from?
Well mostly from the radio, Reuters, WSJ, and Fox News.

Most of the news anyways is full of political agenda and opinions, so if you cant sort through the field and find out whats going on, you should not read the news at all.
If you take the news that the Daily Show and those other late night entertainers seriously then, my friend, thats a major problem.

3 comments:

future_tristar said...

Corey, I completely forgot about the airport issue that has arrised due to terrorism. You are absolutely right, as far as security goes...it has become more of a factor that we deal with everyday.

But is that security really an inconvience? Sure it might seem a little annoying, but for the overall cause of it's intent..isn't it good to know that things are safer?

I actually feel that our security measures aren't as strong as they could be as far as the educational systems go.

I'm relating terrorism on a more vague approach to crime. Crime could be argued, in my opinion, as a form of terrorism. Look at our school system. The dorms are somewhat "safe" in the sense that security won't allow just anyone to walk in...

But what about the students that do walk in? Couldn't they bring in weapons? Any measure of security (as annoying as it may be) I feel is beneficial. People just need to adapt to it, because in the long run, they could be safer.

Corey said...

Thanks for the response Heather.

For future reference keep in mind what exactly terrorism is.

Terrorism - The attempt to create fear in citizens in order to achieve political objectives.

But lets stick to the main point, the only reason that we want to feel safer and have a need for safety to begin with is because we live in fear of another 9/11 occurring. We do not want another terrorist attack to occur.
It does feel nice to know we are safer at an airport, but its only nice because we know that a risk of terrorism exists.

Of course your example about dorm crime is valid. But there is a point where safety, and personal liberty's cross the line. I don't think anyone would want to have a full head to toe search by police when entering every building on campus. You would feel safer, but would you consider that example beneficial? or just annoying?

future_tristar said...

Touche. Well, I think the "safest" search would be the most annoying, and it's unfortunate...but that's human nature.

To cope with the risk of these annoyances, we select the most convenient forms of security. And if the most convenient forms equate to minimal security...I believe terrorists (in the case of airport security) will always find a way to beat the system.

So, what is it that always happens once the system is broken...changes are made. With security, the bars are raised...

I ask then, if people truly want the safest security, then why aren't we willing to deal with the repercussions?