Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hero

During finals week, me and the rest of the residents on my dorm’s floor had plenty of free time. We obviously had a great deal of studying to accomplish, but we also had time to relax and spend time together. My roommate had brought some board games from home, so a group of about ten of us played one called “Loaded Questions.” Each player was given a notepad to write their personal answers to random questions that were drawn from a pile of cards. While some of the questions were superficial and humorous, others were thought-provoking and deep. The last question asked during our first round was, “Who comes to mind when you hear the word hero?” We all sat silent for a minute or so while we contemplated our response and recorded our answer. The leader collected everyone’s papers and read the answers aloud. Then, the person whose turn it was had to match the responses to the person who wrote them. As the leader began reading through the papers, my mom, my older brother, a plethora of celebrity icons were among the answers. The last answer she read to us was, “Soldiers.”

I waited for the person to guess which answer was whose. Needless to say, I was surprised when that answer belonged to our friend Marc, a funny slacker who was rarely serious. He then explained to us that one of his cousins was serving in the Middle East. I had never actually met someone who was so close to the war before. In fact, the only time I ever gave the war much thought was when I caught part of the evening news. Lately, however, the news has been more about the election than world news anyway. It is sad to think that many people do not appreciate those that are serving the country unless they actually know someone who is. Without a personal connection to someone in the military, it is difficult to comprehend the magnitude of a soldier’s devotion to their country.

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

It's a very interesting point that you make.

"Without a personal connection to someone in the military, it is difficult to comprehend the magnitude of a soldier's devotion to their country."

This statement made me think about my younger brother. Even as I sit here now, I try to picture what it would be like if he was fighting overseas in Iraq. I guarantee that I wouldn't be able to focus in school, and that I would constantly be worrying all the time. I know that I would be angry at the government. I would feel proud to know that he was serving the country, however, the pride would be undermined by the feeling of worry.

It's too hard to picture him fighting in the war. And because it's not the reality of the situation, there is no reason why I can't take what is real...and support that.

Even though we ourselves may not have a direct connection with anyone in the war, we do have a connection. Those that are fighting are a part of our country. And when our countrymen fight...they need to know that their country is on their side.