Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

What War?

After reading the article, and looking over a few of the other posts, I've come to the conclusion that I really haven't paid attention to this war in Iraq, nor do I know much about it. However, I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of not keeping up with it. The truth is, the majority of us college students - spending four or five years in classes getting ready to begin forty-an-hour weeks - aren't being affected by this war. Sure we have friends or family there and even the ROTC that goes to college and might end up getting shipped over there, but we've seen no real changes in our culture since our country invaded Iraq. The only real thing that's changed is some security procedures used to combat terrorism. I can honestly say that I've gone a lot of days without thinking once about the war in Iraq. I have no opinion at all on this war or politics in general, because there's nothing I can do to influence any of what's going on now. All I worry about is getting to my classes, having something to eat, and having a roof over my head at the end of the day. I don't even really watch the news to look for updates on the war. The only news I've seen lately is sports coverage, and the homicide rate being down a little since Nutter became mayor. Other then NBC10, I try to stay away from news channels because they're way too biased, and again, I have no opinions on politics or any preference for any candidates. I'll vote for the president that can lower gas prices.

1 comment:

future_tristar said...

I don't completely disagree with you, but I just wanted to hear why you think that gas prices are the most prominent issue for the next president.