Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

IRAQ WAR

As the news channels on TV talk about the war in Iraq at least once a day, I think to myself what are we still doing there? I understand that to go overthrow the government, form a new government and bring peace to a nation is easier said than done. I also understand that the country is not yet completely stable in any way, but doesn't it just seem a little fishy? Many extremists like to poke and prod at the Bush administration, which has not done the best job, and they say we are more or less in Iraq for the oil. Yet clearly many people just don't believe that and feel the real reason is to help a suffering nation and to stomp out a tyrant. Yet as the news blares on I can't stop thinking about how deep this Iraq War thing goes. There are so many things that our government and our lavish lives hides us from, the harsh reality that the rest of the world seems to hate us for not knowing. I feel that we are in Iraq for Oil and maybe other things but to cover up these dirty secrets we have done a good deed by helping a nation and dethroning a tyrant. I am afraid that the more stupid "American" things we try to do in the world the more problems we cause for ourselves. I really think that instead of being overseas we should put all that money and man power to do good in our country because if one really starts to look around "America" is not all it’s cracked up to be. I feel we could do the same amount of helping with a lot less war and violence. I feel that families are sick of war and have sons and daughters dying. American is done with war. We live in the Americas where we are surrounded by water, do we need to still need to be fighting wars overseas, as a first world and somewhat advanced nation with no real enemies around us, it seems like a illogical idea to be at war.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I believe that war fuels any economy (it pushes production and research and opens jobs) I have to really agree with your post. Your words sound inspiring and I only wish that one day we will all stop killing each other. Illogical is a good descriptive word for this war.