Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Views on Iraqi War

I was in Ms. Fulton's Language Art's class when I heard about the terroristic attacks on the United States of America on September 11th, 2001. I remember watching all the reports, the replayed clips, the vigil held at ground zero, and the numerous amounts of people making their opinions heard on national television. I remember when we first took action and dropped bombs on Iraq. I was so elated and I thought that the problem was solved. The US then deployed troops into Iraq. Ever since troops have been deployed, I feel the war has been forgotten. They barely mention the deaths on the news anymore. Plus, more troops keep going over to Iraq, even though we are apparently "withdrawing." I do not know anybody on a personal level that is in Iraq now, has ever been, or is affected by a family member in Iraq. I feel that I don't know anybody in the war is due to the fact of where I was brought up. Most kids in my town care more about what is right for them instead of their country. One could say that I am one of those kids because I am just as guilty as them by not going over to serve. I chose not to serve for two reasons. The first, and main reason, was due to the fact that I thought that I could be of better use to my country by going to school for what I perceived to be dentistry, because I thought I was going to take over my dad's practice. I decided to change my major to business though. The second reason that I decided not to go over and serve, was the fact that I cant stand President Bush and would refuse to represent him.

1 comment:

Corey said...

"Plus, more troops keep going over to Iraq, even though we are apparently "withdrawing.""

We are doing a phased troop reduction. I don't know where you get your news from.

If you are in the military you are representing the United States, not the president.
The uniforms of our armed forces have a flag the represents the United States of America. These troops represent everything that our country has, your family, friends, this school, and the prosperity that our country has.

Freedom isn't free