Welcome...and initial guidelines...

This blog will be used in the spring of 2008 by 80+ students at Drexel University to investigate the effects of Iraq on culture and the reverse. Our goal will be to better understand why the US is in Iraq, and to question whether literature can help us on this journey.

Weekly plans and other materials will always be posted in Vista, not this blog. So go to Bb Vista to get the discussion prompts and other instructions.

I intend this blog to manage our discussions and track our collective investigation.

You should have received an email from me inviting you to become a contributor to this blog. The email was sent Monday afternoon to your official Drexel email address.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

January 20, 2009

I was just curious as to what some of you, not necessarily hope for, but think will happen when the next president goes into office as far as dealing with the war in Iraq. It is one thing to hope for what we want the president to do...but is that realistic with what the president can do?

6 comments:

Corey said...

If my boy John McCain gets into office we will be in Iraq till the missions is accomplished.

JOHN MCCAIN FOR PRESIDENT!

Kunal Shah said...

I think that if Obama or Clinton becomes president then, the war certainly going to take a turn. I means that not as many soldiers as currently will be sent. Many of the soldiers will be offered to come back. However, some soldiers will have to stay just to keep an eye on terrorism. We certainly don't want them to make any sort of nuclear weapons or something like that.

future_tristar said...

I'm taking the most open-minded approach to this.

Corey: Do you think John McCain will apply different tactics than the Bush administration as far as fighting in the war? Who is to say that having the same war driven mindset will lead to an advance, let alone an "accomplished mission"?

Kunal: Having soldiers return would be terrific, however, is our country really prepared to cope with a majority of their overall mental status? And is it fair to have a select group come home, while others have to endure the next step of the war?

I'll be honest, politics are not my forte...and I tend to be on the fence with a lot of views (especially about strategy). I don't know what the best approach is, as far as either staying over in Iraq or dismissing the troops is.

Anonymous said...

Heather, so you think we should keep them all over there to avoid not being fair?

Kunal Shah said...

Heather, regardless of who becomes the president, I can bet you one thing...all the soldiers won't be dismissed. Thats because we still have to keep an eye in Iraq. Like I said before, you never know what type of weapons these terrorists are building or looking for. We certainly wouldn't want them to get their hands on nuclear explosives or something like that.

future_tristar said...

I think that all the soldiers, from both sides, should just stop...and let the government step in themselves and handle matters.

(I'm being slightly sarcastic). I honestly don't know how setting up a government (a democratic one) in another nation will go. It's failed before in other countries: China, Russia, Italy, Germany.

I want the soldiers out, but I think that our strategy has left us borderline stalemate/borderline checkmate.